Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Community Spotlight: West Columbia

CommI will be hosting an Open House in West Columbia this weekend, and I realized that I need to do a little research.  I went to school at the University of South Carolina, so I'm very familiar with the downtown area.  I now live in Lexington with my family, so I know Lexington very well.  My family lived in northwest Columbia growing up, so that part of town still feels like "home."  Though my office for my first "big girl" job was in West Columbia, and my daughter was actually born in West Columbia, I feel like I've had a very "passing through" relationship with the city.  I drive through each day, but usually on my way from Lexington to somewhere in Columbia.  It's time for me to brush up on the city's many selling points.

Recent Growth:

Amazon has begun construction on their new facility in Cayce.  This venture will bring over 1200 jobs to the area, meaning that before the holiday season of 2010, we should have an influx of new families in the Lexington County and the surrounding area.  Time to dust off my knowledge about what a gem West Columbia is :)

The Lexington Medical Center, located in West Columbia, just announced a partnership with Duke Medical Center to create a cardiovascular program.  This is our local hospital and it's where my child was born.  Our experience could not have been better, so we are glad to see the hospital grow.  Duke's cardiovascular clinical research program is world-renowned, and it is exciting to many that such a premier program will be located in West Columbia.

Attractions:

You can't mention beautiful West Columbia without mentioning the Riverwalk.  The city built a stunning trail along the west side of the Congaree River.  When my husband and I first got married, one of our favorite things to do was visit the West Columbia Amphitheater on the river and listen to the great bands playing.  Afterward, you can take a romantic walk by the river!  It's like a nature trail right across the bridge from downtown Columbia.  I just looked it up, and the next Riverwalk Music Festival is coming up on April 11.  It's entirely free, so make sure you stop by.

Courtesy of SCGreatOutdoors

Another West Columbia attraction not to be missed is the Riverbanks Botanical Gardens.  The Riverbanks Zoo falls on the Columbia side of the river, but the Botanical Gardens are on the West Columbia side.  When we were planning our wedding, the venue on the grounds of the Botanical Gardens was on my short list.  Some of my relatives that call the North home have complained a time or two about how long our growing season is and how we can grow just about anything in this climate.  I wouldn't know because I have a black thumb, but the Botanical Gardens take advantage of the SC climate!  They are stunning and if you have never been, or haven't been in a while, you must plan a spring visit.  The perfect time would be on March 26 when they are hosting the annual "Springtime at the Garden Festival."  It is free with Zoo and Gardens admission.  The Gardens are quite the happening place.  Over the Valentine's weekend, they had an "Orchids on the Riverbank" festival, and on each Thursday in May they will host a "Rhythm and Blooms" event with music in food in the exquisite setting.  Check out the calendar of events for more.

A little history lesson:

Did you know that West Columbia was chartered in 1894 as "Brookland"?  It earned this name due to all the clear brooks running through the area.  I never understood why the high school was called "Brookland-Cayce" and now it makes sense!  There was already a town with the name Brookland, so for its purposes the USPS called it "New Brookland."  If you are from around here, especially if you went to college in this area, it is likely that you have been to a concert at New Brookland Tavern in West Columbia.  Many businesses and organizations use the name, but I never made the connection.  There is even a Brookland Baptist Church!  Brookland, or "West Columbia" as it was renamed in 1936, has a very dramatic past including floods and flames.  If you are interested, you can read these facts and more on West Columbia's official website.

If you would like to visit my Open House on Sunday, February 20 from 2-4pm, you may get more information on the home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment