Saturday, March 5, 2011

BuyDay Friday: CraigsList Hutch

I have wanted a hutch for my dining room for ages.  I decided that I must have one for my birthday.  I didn't want to pay more than $50 because I wanted to paint it.  There were many beautiful pieces that came up for sale.  Mahogany antiques, new and shiny monstrosities, and then I saw it... "China Cabinet- $50."  Thank goodness I have vision, or I would have skipped right over this ugly thing.

It has a pretty bone structure, but the finish doesn't even pretend to be wood.  The guy who was selling it had just inherited a house from his grandmother.  He had a use for the house, but not the china cabinet that came with it.  He sold it to me for 50 clams.  I am positive that I could have negotiated him down, because he just wanted to get rid of it, but I thought $50 was such a steal that I paid the full asking price.  My husband and I rented the Home Depot truck for $19 and had ourselves a real, live china cabinet.

I was not about to put it in my house in its current state.  And it smelled quite a bit like incense.  We aired it out in the garage, painted it, added new Martha Stewart hardware from Home Depot, added fabric to the back, and gave it a home on a wall in the dining room.  I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. (note: it looks a little bluish in the pictures.  It's grey in person.  The color is called "granite")



It's tricky to get a good angle between the big round table and the chandelier, but you get the point.  I haven't decided what to fill it with yet.  What do you think??  Isn't she a beaut?

Total Cost:            $147
China Cabinet           $50
Transportation          $19
Paint & Primer          $40
Hardware                  $12
Fabric                       $26              

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, that is gorgeous Kate! Can you come work some magic in my house too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I love it. It's my new favorite thing. I have no doubt that you could make something more beautiful with a luck CraigsList find :)

    ReplyDelete