Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fabric!

When decorating a room, what do you do first?  I used to choose a paint color first.  I would get the walls painted, move the furniture in, and then figure out how to find accents that matched over the next few months.  Over the last couple of years I have changed my tactic.  My motto now?  Fabric first.  Whether it is for pillows, window treatments, a tablecloth, or the back of a china cabinet (wink, wink), it's easier to match paint to fabric than fabric to paint.


I chose this to recover the chairs in the entry:

Waverly Cross Section in Charcoal


thinking that it would look ok with the walls.  Grey is grey, right?  Wrong.  I love the pattern and color, but it looked awful.  It made the walls look very blue, and an ugly shade of blue at that.  Had I chosen it first, we wouldn't be running into this problem and maybe I would have had a color on the walls that I don't hate.  I had to wait until Mother's Day to remedy the problem!

Anyway, I love fabric and how you can bring everything together around it.  I recently chose a theme for my daughter's first birthday party in August.  I'm going to try to do everything myself, so three months of planning is not too much time.  This is the fabric that we chose for the table runners, etc.
Isn't it cute?  More on the party to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment