Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Train for a (half) Marathon

The running gene skipped me.  I grew up hearing stories about my dad's marathons and my mom's track and field state titles.  I'm not sure about now, but my mom still held a few Maine state records into the 1990's.  My parents were great runners... I'm not.  I've never enjoyed running "without a purpose."  Hurrying to score a goal or to block a spike over the net is one thing, but running just to run isn't my thing.

Well, now I've had a baby and I want to get in shape.  I need to recover from this:

It's getting more and more difficult to make time to exercise.  I was at the office one day feeling particularly fat after an unhealthy lunch, and I decided that I was going to start running 5 or 10K's on the weekends.  Then I received an email from a friend.  She is running a half marathon in November.  Six months to get in shape to run over 13 miles.  I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I'M SO IN!

I started Googling "how to get in shape for a half-marathon" and I found a technique that I'm going to try.  It incorporates some rest, which is just up my alley.  Here is my schedule:
I'm getting so excited!

The twelve week training schedule that I modified is from halfmarathons.net

No comments:

Post a Comment