Monday, December 3, 2012

Baby Let Me Upgrade Ya...


...in the wise words of Beyonce.

I was talking to my husband the other night about how I need to brush up my professional appearance.  I have big responsibilities (like raising a little person!) that sap much of my "let me make myself look my best" energy.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the average age of a real estate agent is 56.  I'm about half that, and though I think I need botox, I still wonder if my clients think I'm a baby.  I'm the only full-time agent in my office in Generation Y, and one of only a few in the area.  I'm the youngest by a decade.  One benefit is that I've grown up with technology and have a pretty recent business degree.  But I'm still the little girl in the office.  As someone in the top tier of agents this year, I need more polish.  I'm starting slowly with small changes, and spit-shining myself on the cheap.

1. In South Carolina it is acceptable to wear flip flops year round, and I do.  I'm not talking classy Jack Rogers sandals or the thin braided strap Rainbows that are a touch lady-like.  I wear the same manly, brown leather flip flops as my husband.  I used to wear high heels every day, and I do wear them to closings and business meetings, but showing 10 houses a day is impossible in heels.

I am upgrading to brown closed-toe flats.  Tory Burch from eBay doesn't count as fancy.  (One of my favorite lines from "P.S. I Love You" is "I buy EVERYTHING on eBay.  It doesn't count when you're wearing Marc Jacobs from Minneapolis.")


 


2.  My car is my office, and the trash, cheerio filled bus that I've been driving doesn't cut it.  It has seen us through a wedding, a baby, and three moves.  It holds many memories, and has been so good to us.  It did break down once when I was out with clients.  It worked out... they bought the house and I got the problem fixed for a mere $150.

What finally pushed me over the edge?  Cruise control went and I can't drive without cruise control.  Hard on the knees and I keep looking down to see that I'm going 90mph on the interstate.

So as part of my improvements, I got a new (to me) car.  I'll keep under my hat the awesome deal that I got from Windham Select Luxury Wholesale Dealers.  If my clients knew, they might not find it so impressive :)  The Trailblazer will live out it's days towing things.  And I get this one cleaned every Friday to rid it of cheerios and useless paperwork.



 
3. I carry around lots of paperwork. And checks. And a tape measurer. An other weird odds and ends that clients may ask for. I even have the occassional diaper and travel wipes in my bag. I need something that isn't fussy, but is... say it with me... polished!


 

 
There are a few more baby steps that I'm taking, but this is enought fill you in on for now.  Have you worked on making yourself the best you can be lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment