Thursday, June 30, 2011

Audio Books

When I was in college, going "home" for the summer meant heading to Upstate New York or Maine.  Do you know how old the radio gets in 15+ hours?  I heard "Sexy Back" too many times to count in the summer of 2006 while driving up and down the eastern seaboard.  Surprisingly I still love that song, but you know how many times you heard it that summer.

To rescue me from hours of overplayed pop music (that I usually love), I finally discovered audio books about a year and a half ago.  That particular trip was a logistical mess.  I had to work on a project in New York, so I drove up there for a few days.  My husband flew into New Hampshire and I picked him up on my way from New York to Maine.  After visiting my family in Maine, we drove back to SC together.  I listened to "Last Song" on the entire trip up, and again on the trip back.  It was a new release and we really liked it... little did we know that Miley Cyrus was about to get her hands on it.  Anyway, it passed the time like nothing else could.

On a side note: regardless of Miley, the movie is particularly special to us.  It was released the day that I was to be induced, so I trekked through Wal-mart at 3am with a gigantic belly looking for someone to get a copy from the storage area for me.  It hadn't yet been put on the shelves.  I fell asleep during the intro and my husband ended up watching it with our Doula while I got a good nap in (epidurals are incredible).  He then complained about how they left out so many good parts.  I got a good giggle that this macho man of mine had an opinion about a Nicholas Sparks movie!

Now back on track.  A few weekends ago I drove ten hours to Miami, and then drove home two days later.  This time I listened to "The Help" on my iPhone.  More on that book another week...

I'm taking another long trip this weekend and I'm trying to decide what to listen to.  It will just be me and the dog for 17 hours or so (depending on traffic).  I've heard that "Hunger Games" is about to come out in theaters, so I need to read all of them.  I don't know much about the books, but I've heard they have a Twilight-esque cult following (TEAM EDWARD!).  Whichever book I decide on, I'll be sure to let you know how it rates

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment