Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers

This is one of the most powerful love stories I've ever read.  My mom sent it to me for my 21st birthday, and it would sit on my shelf for years before I finally opened it up.

I read a review about this being a love story between a farmer and a prostitute and that turned me off to the book.  I couldn't imagine the premise being something that would interest me.  A friend mentioned that she loved it, and then I started seeing it in "favorite books" sections of Facebook profiles all over the place.  If you haven't yet read it, I would highly recommend it.  It isn't at all what you will imagine from reading reviews, and it may even change your thinking about love and forgiveness.


Many of you may not know that I'm a minister's daughter.  A sermon that my dad gave many times in different churches was the story of Hosea and Gomer.  It's a story of obedience to God, forgiveness and unconditional love.  Gomer was a "harlot" whom God instructed Hosea to marry.  She ran off time and time again with other men, and Hosea kept taking her back and loving her through it all.  My dad made great points, and I understand obeying God, but I never could quite understand Hosea's side.  Why couldn't he could forgive her for his own sake, but let her go?  "Redeeming Love" is based on the story of Hosea and Gomer and it helped make sense of the Biblical story for me.  Hosea loved her and he was willing to take whatever crumbs she had for him, and in the end he taught her how to love him back.  To go really deep, the story is supposed to represent God's love of Israel though it kept turning its back on Him.  "Redeeming Love" isn't set in Biblical times, but in the late 1800's Gold Rush.

I call it my favorite book, but I haven't read it since I've been married, so that's at least four years.  This weekend may just be the time to open it up again.  I remember all the important parts, but I've forgotten enough of the details to make it a great read.  I would encourage you to try it, too!  You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment