Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ikea Kitchens!

I walk into so many homes that aren't living up to their potential.  I recently showed one in a gorgeous and upscale neighborhood that has been on the market for over two years.  I WISH I could get my hands on it to flip and stage.  It has fantastic bones with the master on the main floor, two large bedrooms upstairs, and a finished bonus room over the garage.  It has a beautiful screen porch, great big fenced backyard (that would suit a pool perfectly), and the exterior is brick!  All this in over 2500 square feet of heated living space.  Everything, especially the kitchen, is sorely outdated but it has a nice flow.  The home needs some lipstick for sure, but it doesn't seem to have mold or structural issues that you sometimes find in something that is just sitting vacant in humid SC.  I don't feel like moving, or I would tackle it myself.  Here is what I would do:

1. Add Berber carpet to the upstairs bedrooms and the bonus room.

2. Add classic red oak hardwood floors to dining room, living room, family room and master bedroom and stain them a java color.  Not too dark, but not too warm.

R.L. Colston 3/4" by 2 1/4" Unfinished Red Oak
on sale at Lumber Liquidators for $1.99/sf

3. Drumroll please... Add an Ikea kitchen with white cabinets to the ceiling.  I like the "Lidi white."  The great thing about them is that while they are cost-effective, they aren't thermofoil like you usually find at this price.  If you google "White Ikea Kitchen" here are some of the images that you will find:



A little paint on the walls and this place would be in business.  It's more work than these particular clients want to take on, so I'm off to find them another.

No comments:

Post a Comment