Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Act a Fool

What do you do when you are going to meet your favorite bloggers and want to make an impression?  You dress as a dog... and a toddler... and them!  Three friends and I went to see Sherry and John from Young House Love last night in Charlotte, and we dressed foolishly in the name of fun.  Thankfully we came up with the idea the day before the book signing, so I didn't have enough time to get embarrassed.  We are all pretty normal: two teachers, a jewelry salesperson, and a real estate agent.  Three of us are moms of toddlers.  But most of the people in the audience with us didn't get the joke and thought we were insane.  Ha!  Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?

I've been reading YHL since Oct 2008.  We closed on our 1970's brick ranch that month, and I typed "brick ranch renovation" in the images section of google.  A picture of their little house popped up, and the rest is history.  I've been reading faithfully for years, and watching the "comments" section grow from averaging 10 in 2008 to THOUSANDS these days.  I'm rarely ahead of the curve on things.  YHL and Ebates are my two wins.

The Petersiks fascinate me because they let readers so far into their lives. They are witty and creative and a little bit awkward- my favorite quality.  Though we only spoke with them for a minute, they were as kind and down-to-earth as I had imagined.  I wish that I would have said something about how much I have enjoyed reading their blog for the last four years, or thanked them for putting so much work and so much of themselves into something that they share with the world.  I wasn't that eloquent.  What did I say instead? 
Pinned Image

I told them that we dressed up to get a pic with them on the blog (at the time it seemed like it would explain the crazy outfits?), and that my husband said my "Burger-eyed boobs" would do the trick.  Seriously, I kept covering the dog nose with the book and all you could see were dog eyes on my boobs.  Oops!  After looking at the pictures, I'm crazy embarrassed.  I wore dog ears, y'all.  See for yourself:

"Sherry", "Burger", "John", and "Clara"

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this. I hope y'all make it on their next post about their book tour!!! Can't wait for the dress-up Petersik's to be famous!

    ReplyDelete