Thursday, April 4, 2013

Big Girl Room

Changes are happening in our house!  My baby will be 3 this summer, and since she could somersault out of her crib, it was time to upgrade her room.  We could not get her to stay in her converted crib-to-toddler bed, so we had to try something new.  Since we turned the fourth bedroom into an office for my husband, we have had an extra full bed lying around.

I love a steal, so I hit up TJMaxx, Target, and World Market one Saturday morning to see what I could find.  TJMaxx had a beautiful white Cynthia Rowley Quilt with pinks, purples, greens, and teals ($39.99).  E calls it her "pity flower banket" or "pretty flower blanket."  Target had fuchsia sheets with white polka dots ($20), some white quilted shams ($18.99 each), and the perfect teal woven accent pillow ($24- steep, but it was perfect... even my husband said so!).  World Market had a gorgeous 30" x 40" floral canvas in the clearance section ($59).  I had picked up a headboard in February in anticipation of the room redo ($20).  My nickname of "spraypainting queen" was well-earned.  You should have seen me in the backyard with my Kilz spray primer and Rustoleum white spray paint.


Other items we have collected/repurposed include: E's great-grandmother's old white desk (free); a large mirror from over the fireplace in the living room where the TV will be mounted (cost $30 five years ago); my childhood bookcase, dresser, and nightstand (free plus cost of white paint); a wooden headboard from the Junior League of Columbia's annual rummage sale ($20 plus cost of white paint); two printed Bible verses to put in white Walmart frames (prints $8 on Etsy, frames $13).  If you spray paint as much as I do, you need one of these:

I am THRILLED with how E's room is coming together.  I've asked if I can snuggle with her a couple of times when putting her to bed and she says, "No Mama, I go seep."  She loves her bed, and the fact that her doll has her own pillow.  Picture a tear rolling down my cheek for my baby girl who isn't a baby anymore!  Pictures to come when I'm finished.  If the rain would go away so I could paint, I would have made more progress by now.  My to-do list looks like this:

1. paint wooden headboard
2. set up full size bed, including safety rails
3. hang large canvas over dresser
4. print, frame, and hang prints over bookcase
5. paint mirror for over desk (currently silver and in living room)
6. paint old bookcase (currently silver... I know, I know)
7. paint old nightstand (currently brown and in guest room)
8. purchase bedding
9. purchase black-out curtains

Thing I learned today: Color is spelled "Fuchsia" not "Fuschia."  Named after scientist with last name Fuch.

2 comments:

  1. ooh! can't wait to see her big girl room!! I think I'm going be doing some spray painting soon myself, so I might have to invest in one of those spray grips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I have been looking for fuchsia bedding for Madeleine's room as well and have been unsuccessful thus far! Off to Target I go tomorrow, thanks!

    ReplyDelete