Saturday, February 22, 2014

money, money, money, money... MUN-AY!

So "awards season" is over for me.

My husband attended the Regal Awards for the Greater Columbia Home Builders Association with me.  It was mostly attorneys and bankers, only a few agents, but we had a good time.  A husband of a fellow agent did ask why we get awards just for doing our job.  It made me laugh.  He's exactly right.  But in real estate it's all about production.  Why should someone use you instead of someone else?  There are 4,000 agents in the Midlands.

Last night was the Circle of Excellence event for the Central Carolina Realtors Association.  My husband has been really sick, so I brought a friend.  I brought home a Platinum award.  Super humbling since so many people in that category have been selling since the 80's and others are basically famous in this area.  But the experience was eye-opening.  I didn't consider how weird this industry is until seeing it from someone else's point of view.

1.  BIGGEST ONE: Many agents, including me, have become desensitized to the faux pas of discussing money.  I grew up knowing that it was a topic to be avoided (along with politics; religion got a pass since my dad was a pastor).  When working with a client, I know how much they are qualified to spend, their salary, and they know my commission since it is listing on their closing statement.  My income is a calculation.  A percentage of sales price is the gross commission.  Gross commission - company take = my income.  Then we are awarded based on the amount of commission that we make, so it isn't exactly a secret.  The difference between me and every other agent in the room is the percentage split with the company that varies from brand to brand.  So people will call and say that I should work for their company because I'll make 10%, 20%, 30% more.  Everyone talks about money.  Weird, huh?

2. It is an aged industry.  I am the youngest agent in my office and one of the youngest full-time, top-producing agents in the Midlands.  At 29, I'm not exactly a baby.  Nationally the average real estate agent is 56 years old.

3. Out of 4,000 agents in this area, there are only a few who make a good living at real estate.  The awards room was mighty small.  Nationally, the average agent makes $22,000.  Could you live on $22,000?  Especially with self-employment tax, dues, marketing expenses, etc.

It was fun to get all dressed up at these events.  I'm blessed to work for the same company as some wonderful, wonderful people.  I hope that I won't ever believe that this success has anything to do with me.  I have been blessed, and I'll continue to serve my clients to the best of my ability.  I'm so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment