Thursday, February 20, 2014

Those who can't do...

try to sell Real Estate?

That's how I fell into it.  I had a business degree, customer service and contract experience, loved real estate, and was competing with PhD's for every job in a down market.  But it is also the career-of-choice for many of your favorite reality tv stars.

Reality shows about this industry have a growing audience and remain popular (as referenced in this Wall Street Journal article).  But not just real estate reality shows feature real estate agents.  Just on an early cast of The Real Housewives of Orange County alone, there are four real estate agents (that I know of).  So I guess it goes like this: create your own clothing line, put out a cheesy song, and sell real estate.
courtesy of tvguide.com
What caused thoughts about this random topic?  Tonight I watched the "Southern Charm" preview episode.  I'm always interested to see how SC will be portrayed nationally on these types of shows.  It is usually less than flattering.  To my surprise Cameran Eubanks (remember her from Real World: San Diego?) is unemployed and decides to start selling real estate.

This industry is scary every single day.  Maybe they have huge reality television salaries and don't actual have to sell.  Each day I wonder, When these deals close, will there be more?  Will we have another dip and people will stop buying/selling?  I absolutely love what I do.  Each day presents new and exciting challenges.  Would I recommend it?  Never, but then again I have a huge aversion to risk and thinking about commission-only pay gives me hives.  But I wish her the best of luck in her new career!!

Is anyone else planning to watch this show?  Hopefully it will be better than "Welcome to Myrtle Manor" and "Party Down"!

No comments:

Post a Comment