Saturday, February 15, 2014

Oh Happy Day!

...Oh happy Day-ay... when Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)... he washed my sins away...

Thinking of Sister Act 2 now, right?

It is a happy day in this house because Jesus washed our sins away, yes, and because we finished our purchases for the living room.  I am a happy girl.


We loved our former sectional, though the light "linen" color wasn't working so well with a toddler and a dog.  That was my spoken excuse, but the real one is that I was ready for a change.  It happens every so often, and five years with the same sofa is a record for me.  I've promised my husband that these leather sofas will stay for at least seven years, and I know I can keep my promise.  They are my new boyfriends.  I've been sitting on them since they arrived, testing out each cushion to see if that will be "my spot."  I have been doing my office duties from the living room couch.
 

The sectional is now living in my husband's office.  He feels like a sardine, but I can't bear to part with it.  We may move someday and have a living room AND a family room, or a bonus room, or any number of rooms that our little ranch doesn't have.  I don't want to get rid of a perfectly good sectional and need to buy a new one.  So that's the plan for now.  We'll see how things look in a month.

You may remember when I posted about what we were purchasing.  I get an idea and run with it until it comes to life.  That is how every room in our house has been decorated, good or bad.  We stayed pretty true to the mood board with one minor change.  Let me explain- while I have been working on my house, I was also re-furnishing (is that a word?) a sorority house at USC where I'm the housing and facility advisor.  I had found the perfect rug.  A 9' x 12' flatweave beige and navy stripe.  I wanted it for my house AND for the sorority house study.  Sadly Overstock sold out.  So the sorority house is getting the flatweave beige and navy stripe, and my house is getting a navy and ivory stripe.  Though the lighter color would probably be better for college girls than my baby girl, the rug is only 8'6" x 11'6" and was too short to be able to slide out chairs in the study.  I'm armed with five gallons of Scotchgard to three-year-old-proof it.

My day started out not great.  I had a continuing ed class and I went to the wrong location.  Rookie mistake.  So I got to spend the day working on things that I really need to get done, and looking at my newly mounted television (Geek Squad came this morning) and my new living room setup. 

So what's left?

1. Paint walls greige and paint trim white
Valspar's Oatlands Subtle Taupe courtesy of involvingcolor.com
 2. Add gallery wall around the television
courtesy of Pinterest.com
3. Paint frames navy and enlarge photos of E for them
courtesy of etsy.com
 4. DIY a coffee table that is large enough for the space (thinking a rectangular dining table from CraigsList with these legs and a barnwood top like the one pictured)
courtesy of cityfarmhouse.com

5. New window treatments (thinking bamboo shades with navy drapes)

No comments:

Post a Comment