Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What to Wear Wednesday: Mad Men Party

A friend of mine is having a "Mad Men" themed birthday party.  "Mad Men Season 1" in sitting in our Netflix Queue... meaning that I have never seen the show.  I know the premise and a few of the characters, but I don't know the fashion very well.  So what do I wear to this 1950's (it's in the '50's, right?  or is it the '60's?) soiree?  My first stop in my online search was my go-to store for dresses: ModCloth.  They had a few cute things that would work, but most were either sold out, way more than I wanted to spend even if I would wear it again, or more than I wanted to spend on something I would only wear once.  Here are two of my favorites that fell into the "too rich for my blood" and "out of stock" categories.



So I Googled a bit more, and checked out some vintage clothing websites.  I wasn't coming up with anything.  So I moved on to doing some research for my daughter's first birthday party (it's months away, but I'm nothing if not a planner), and I found an outfit for her at JCPenney.  I decided to look at their "women's dresses" section and lo and behold, I think I found something!  It meets my two criteria of 1. being relatively inexpensive and 2. being classic enough to get a lot of use.  What do you think of the outfit below?

Mad Men Party


Dress, JCPenney, $39.99
Mary jane pumps, Kmart, $9.09
Vintage Pillbox Hat, Etsy, $20
Gloves, Amazon, $9.95
Black Skinny Belt, Target, $9.95 (already own)

Total: $79.03

No comments:

Post a Comment